Friday, May 2, 2008

Field Trip to Hawaii!



I just got back from a vacation in Hawaii with my wife (Thanks VH1!). I learned a few things there along with all the fun and relaxation that we enjoyed. We stayed in Honolulu at Waikiki beach. We got to visit Pearl Harbor, hike up Diamond Head, snorkle at Hanalei Bay (wow- to all the fish we saw and the sea turtle that we swam with and observed) and we went to the Polynesain Cultural Center among other things. I only got one hour plus run in as I ran below Diamond Head along portions of the Honolulu Marathon course. It was through walking around and visiting the Polynesain Cultural Center that I learned some new things.

I learned that the Vitruvian shoes I have been wearing are not good walking shoes for me. They may not even be the best for running either. I have done most of my running since the fall in these shoes and brought them along for running and walking around. I noticed that as I walked my body shifted into the horrible alignment that I sometimes get while running. My left knee started knocking in and the left foot rolled wrong as it pronated in. I couldn't wait to get them off after a day of walking around in them. I think it may have to do with the dual density foam under the heel. One half is softer than the other but my foot reacts weirdly to it. I don't think I notice this as much while running as I land on the ball of the foot with these shoes. I went back to walking with my minimalistic H-Streets shoes and felt better. I tried the Vitruvians later in the week for a mile walk and the same thing happened.

While at the Polynesain Cultural Center, we learned about the dance, music, and culture of the Hawaiian and other South Pacific Islands (Hawaii, Samoa, Maori New Zealand (Aotearoa), Fiji, Tahiti, the Marquesas, and Tonga). I found the differences in dance and music between the islands fascinating. I have never been a dancer or appreciated the art of it: however all I could notice and think about as I watched the different styles of dancing was that they were doing moves that were all similar to the joint mobility work I have been using. Of course the dancers movements were smooth, rythmic, and athletic while I am at the beginner stage at learning movements. I noticed lunges, squats, rotations, and other movements from head to toe (but upon reflection I guess that is what dance is).



I also wished I had used those clubbells that I bought a month ago. I got called up during a show to try to learn to beat the large drums that they use in Tongo. I had fun and played the perfect idiot as I couldn't quite get the simple directions. The crowd had a great laugh!

No comments: