Thursday, July 24, 2008

A new type of Running Shoe: Glide’n Lock


I see a new and unusual type of running shoe is being marketed. It is called the Glide’n Lock Running System. I couldn't find much information on them except through their website.

At first glance it sounds like the shoe is supposed to cushion your foot's impact through the "elements" on the bottom of the shoe. It looks like them may move horizontally on impact and then when the "elements" compress they lock in so that you can get a push-off. You may even hear the elements click as they lock in according to the website.



It looks like they would be very interesting to try. I always wonder if a shoe like this would help equalize the forces on my left foot as it strikes the ground so that it doesn't twist and roll. The Newton Running Shoe was supposed to do something like that but it certainly didn't work for me. The Newtons were expensive enough for a running shoe, but the Glide'n Lock retails for $199.00. I wonder if they would take my barely used Newtons as a trade in.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

have u tried any nike frees i think they are same concept and i want to try one fo those kind of shoes

Jim Hansen said...

Yes I have used the Nike Free. I had the original version and they were very comfortable and lasted a long time. I did some running in them, but not as my main running shoe. They last a long time too! I got another pair last month of the version 5 Free but I have not run in them because they are what I use the rest of the day for walking around in. I bought the version 3 last year but I got them too small and so I don't really use them that much. I am debating getting another version 3 pair or a version 5 pair for running in. They are a great shoe. I ran 8 milers right of the bat with them although Nike had these big long suggestions for breaking your feet in slowly when using them.

Anonymous said...

I helped invent the Glide N lock shoe and ou can't believe the story behind it, some of the very best runners in the world love it
go to this months Triathlete magazine page 163 I think Nations Triathlon an athlete wearing them GnL is contrete made EZ

Anonymous said...

^ is that Cyle Sage talking about Ken Korigliano? haha, the shoes are awesome, I Met Cyle my sophomore year in high school and have used them... suffice to say.. I dropped down to a sub 15minute 5k at my peak...