Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Guide to the U.S. Track and Field Olympic Trials

Tomorrow starts the U.S. Olympic Trials for Track and Field at Hayward Field in Eugene, Oregon. I will do the best I to watch as many of the events as possible. The closest I have been to the trials besides watching on the internet and television is back in 1976 when my high school coach ventured out to the same venue to watch the trials or at the last trials in 2008. I was Omaha, Nebraska at the time watching the U.S. Olympic swimming trials with my daughter and then watching the track trials at night on the hotel television.It looks like television again which is better than the post cards and magazine articles back in the 1970s.

Here is the television schedule for this year's trials. More details of which events are being contested during each broadcast are located here.

Date Time Network
Friday, June 22nd               9-11 p.m. ET                 NBCSN           
Saturday, June 23rd 8-9 p.m. ET/PT NBC
Sunday, June 24th 7-8 p.m. ET/PT NBC
Monday, June 25th 9-11 p.m. ET/PT NBCSN
Thursday, June 28th 9-11 p.m. ET/PT NBCSN
Friday, June 29th 6-8 p.m. ET NBCSN
Saturday, June 30th 9-10 p.m. ET/PT NBC
Sunday, July 1st 7-8 p.m. ET/PT NBC









You can find the schedule of events here. Note these times are Pacific times.



Here are some good articles to get you ready for the trials.



Washington Post article on Alan Webb. The big question is, :"Will Alan be granted a petition to run the 5000 meters in the trials?"


Boston Globe article on Andrew Wheating.


1972 Trials in black and white from The New York Times.



































2 comments:

RunStephen said...

Jim, have you found any real-time streaming options, free or paid, to cover what isn't on TV?

Jim Hansen said...

I would gladly pay-like I do at Universal for the T/F events, but there is no option for that here. I only get basic cable and was hoping to watch at my in-laws, but they just downgraded too! I am going to keep my eyes here to see if it turns up on some stream: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4639492