Monday, August 6, 2012

The guys you're trying to beat


What a great week for running with the Olympics on television for some motivation. The men's 10000 meter race is so far the best race of the Olympics! I would have liked to see Tyson Gay medal in the Olympics, but he just fell short. He has done a brilliant job coming back from his labral tear surgery just a couple of weeks before I had my surgery.


Here is a most interesting article about coach Alberto Salazar and where America's running programs need to go in the future. It is interesting that the Kenyans and the Bekeles had previously asked Alberto to consider coaching them.

The Bekele's are Nike-sponsored runners. Decent guys, by all accounts. No doubt, sensational talents. And while Salazar turned down an offer from the Kenyans a few years ago, and rebuffed the Bekele's a few years ago in their first ask, he toyed with the idea of taking on one, or both, last year, around the time he took on Farah. He even took the idea to Rupp, just to feel him out. 
Maybe to motivate him, too, a little. Who knows?
Rupp said, "Aren't those the guys we're trying to beat?!?"
And did Mo Farah and Galen Rupp beat those guys!

Last weeks mileage
Monday 3 miles- Mine Falls Trail 5K 23:16 a 40 second improvement from 2 weeks earlier
Tuesday: bike 8 miles
Wednesday: run 8 miles
Thursday: run 5 miles in Falmouth
Friday: run 8 miles
Saturday: 0 miles bike 8 miles
Sunday: 0 miles
Total miles: 24 miles running

The muscles around my hip are having a hard time with the 5k races. I need to work on stability more as well as to get more range of motion. These races hurt a lot, despite my overall slowness. I can't get the hip to move me faster. I did the race again tonight in the the same exact time as last week.


No comments: