Saturday, February 2, 2013

2013 Boston New Balance Indoor Games

The 2013 Boston Indoor Games finished with two fantastic races. Mary Cain, a 16 year old high school phenom, raced to her third record of 2013. Just like one mile record she obliterated last week, she again took apart the 2 mile high school record. Here is the video I made of the race:




Not only did Mary win over the crowd, but she finished third overall in the professional field. Imagine what she thought when she stood next to Ethiopia's Turinesh Dibaba, arguably the greatest female runner of all time, before the race.


Here is the official women's twp mile video:



Just after that race, Galen Rupp ran the 2nd fastest American time in the indoor 3000 meter race. He lost to another teen-aged phenom, Hagos Gebrhiwet from Ethiopia, who at 18 years of age just set the new Junior World Record. Here is the video I took of the full race.



Here is the official race video:



Here is the last lap of the Men's Mile where Matt Centrowitz, jr. outkicks Will Leer and his long hair and mustache.



Here is the official mile video:



Centrowitz getting interviewed after the race.
Olympic Champion Aries Merritt showed up, but did not run .
I had some great seats for these races. Usually my wife or one of my kids go with me, but they opted out this year and gave me an upgraded ticket near the finish line. I don't know if that was for my benefit of for their benefit?

No comments: