Monday, April 8, 2013

Janda short foot exercise

Last week was not a good week of running and I am shutting it down until I can get in for a M.A.T. (Muscle Activation Technique) appointment. I have been noticing over the last couple of weeks that I am imbalanced and having a hard time recovering from runs due to stressing my joints in muscls in the wrong way. This week I took 5 days off, then ran a decent 8 miler on Wednesday. The next day I was stiff and my joints were tight. I ran 8 miles again, but I should have stopped after the first mile. I basically forced myself to finish the run with my hips off and my legs moving in different patterns and directions from each other. It was hard to run and I was about 10 minutes slower than the previous day. I had noticed that my left foot was pointing more and more to the outside like it used to do as I walk and run through the day. The isometric exercises weren't getting it back and by Wednesday, my muscles were loose so I could fake the running, not with the stiffness the next day. When my foot points out ( I have been told I can never fix the tibial torsion-but I have been able to hold it in position better) it means the way I run is affected. I pronate and roll over the ankle, and the weight is placed on the inner half of my knee (affecting the popliteus muscle) and then my hip is not in position so both hips get out of alignment and I feel it in my lower and sometimes upper back. I have got in over 500 miles of running since the last M.A.T. appointment last November. Hopefully I just need a good tune up to get the muscles firing correctly. I am not sure what the cause is this time: running? starting to do some foam roller work? or maybe the camber of the road? I have an appointment for Saturday, but I hope to get in earlier, because I know better than to run like this and I don't like sitting around.

Running miles April 1-7
16 total miles
446 total miles for 2013

I did find a Janda exercise this week called the short foot. This is a movement to help strengthen the arch. I have heard of Janda before, but have never seen this exercise. It does remind me of what Gregg, the M.A.T. guy has been having me do . I have a lot of foot exercises from him, but maybe I have been doing them wrong. I am supposed to use a similar pull when doing multiple isometric exercises with the foot pointed in, forward, and out for different muscles. I have concentrated on pushing down with the forefoot and pulling back with the heel (all slight movements) but not on lifting up over the arch.








8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My left foot used to turn out more than my right. I would get pain in that ankle, because I pronated more on that side. You can control this. March in place, like you're getting ready to be in a parade. Both of your feet automatically point straight forward. Do this a lot. Gradually increase the pace so that you're running in place. Your feet will continue to point straight forward. Do this exercise often. When you stand around-at the sink brushing your teeth, or in the shower, for example- be aware of your foot placement, and maintain that position of both feet forward. You're retraining your body. It works. I'm more symmetrical now. I have no pain and ran a half and full marathon in consecutive weeks, which is better than I could have ever imagined before.

Anonymous said...

Do that exercise right before you run. And then run barefoot. Your feet will want to stay pointed forward. Run barefoot just short distances-on the carpeting between the living room and dining room, in the driveway, whatever-just to get your body gradually used to doing it the right way. I didn't mind taking it slow, because I sucked. I'm still not a great runner, but I've gotten to be a hell of a lot better than I have any right to be.

Jim Hansen said...

Thanks, sounds interesting especially as this is a weight bearing exercise as opposed to just doing exercises. I will give it a try.

Anonymous said...

Yes, and I found it helpful to also stop on one foot occasionally so that I was doing a one-legged stance. Valuable for working on balance.

Jim Hansen said...

Thanks for your help!

Anonymous said...

I know it works. I was pleased to see my pictures from my recent races. You know that picture at the top of your blog? That's what my stride looks like now.

Anonymous said...

It also helps that they are running in what looks like minimal racing flats. It seems to me that less shoe (or no shoe) helps lead to better form. Sorry to keep going on about this, but I am excited to share what has worked so well for me.

Jim Hansen said...

You are doing good if you are looking like those guys! They are running in spikes (super minimal, but with spikes) which gets you up on your toes. I was a minimalist, but have been using Hoka One One shoes since my hip surgery. Now I am a maximalist!